The Good….Loft Conversions
- You will get a fantastic new living space without incurring the cost of moving home. You will save on stamp duty, moving fees, estate agent fees, solicitor’s fees and much more.
- If you like your neighbours, you will get to keep those too.
- You will add value to your home. Maybe as much as 20% if the loft conversion is done well.
- A loft extension will only take 6-8 weeks so constitutes a short period of disruption to get the end result.
The Bad…..Loft Conversions
- You need to prepare before you start. This means decluttering and making things accessible for your loft conversion company. So some time and effort is required.
- You need to have money to do it. Savings or refinancing may be required.
- You should have a contingency fund. There will always be things that crop up or weren’t considered.
- Dust. There will be a lot of dust so cover up your furniture and keepsakes with dustsheets.
- There will be trades people in your home for a few weeks and this can be quite stressful
The Ugly…..Loft Conversions
- A Portaloo is not a nice sight to have in your driveway but can make a difference to the amount of housework you have to do after the builders go!
- You will be around lots of noise and banging for several weeks so let your neighbours know in advance so that there are no ugly confrontations.
- It’s difficult having lots of strange workmen walking in and out of your house. Make sure that you choose a loft conversion company who vets their tradespeople and knows that they are reputable and trustworthy.
Some Final Tips
From speaking to our clients, here are some of their tips concerning loft conversions:
- Don’t scrimp on power points and telephone points etc. You will regret the disruption later on when you realise that you need more.
- Don’t scrimp on insulation. Having a lot of insulation will keep your loft warm in winter and save on energy bills.
- Print off photos of features that you like so that we can see exactly what you want without crossed wires.
- Built in storage is very handy so consider having that.
- Have lots of tea bags, sugar and biscuits in the house!
If you’re in Edinburgh and are considering a loft conversion, get in touch to discuss how we can make things as easy as possible for you.